Tuesday 3 March 2015

Refreshed and Restored

Last month, my laptop was misbehaving. I was at my wits end to know what to do.
It is only one year old, so hadn't reached the 'terrible twos' experienced by many parents. But nothing I did, that usually sorted out its misbehaviour, seemed to work.
So I followed instructions from Windows Help and first attempted a 'refresh' process, and that made some improvements. I was then driven to restore it, by going back to a 'restore point' from the day before. I have never had to do that before. I was nervous, and wondered what might happen.
The results have been wonderful. All the junk has been cleared out, and behaviour is much improved. I now know what to do the next time it starts to misbehave.
It struck me that this was very much what can happen to us during the season of Lent. I know that my life needs to be refreshed and restored, and wonderfully, that is exactly what Jesus wants to do for us.
In the middle of his ministry, Jesus offered a most amazing series of invitations to the people around him. 'Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11.28-30)
Many people I encounter are weary and worn out by the pressures and problems that they face. We take on responsibilities, and then find ourselves stretched to breaking point, and wonder how to survive. It is to people like us that Jesus speaks. He promises to come alongside us, and to share the burden, by being our yoke-partner, just like a pair of oxen pulling a plough. To know that every burden I bear is shared with Jesus makes all the difference. 
For my part, I must be willing to be taught, led and directed by Jesus, so that he is carrying what is too much for me, and I am discovering the deep rest that he alone can bring. Then, like my laptop, I will be refreshed and restored. 
Why not try it for yourself?
Best wishes,
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment