Saturday 4 April 2015

Waiting Painfully or Patiently?

Roald Dahl's 'Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' introduces us to the memorable Veruca Salt. She is a child of our culture, whose favourite saying, shrieked at high volume, is 'I want it and I want it NOW!'
She does not like to wait for anything.
Many of us are too much like Veruca Salt than we like to admit.
Today, between Good Friday and Easter Day, is a day for waiting. 
Yesterday, as we followed the first disciples of Jesus, we watched Jesus die, and saw where he was buried. But then there was nothing that could be done, so we filled our lives with ordinary activities. 
And then today, Easter Eve, is a day of painful waiting. So it was for the first followers of Jesus. ' As his body was taken away, the women from Galilee followed and saw the tomb where his body was placed. Then they went home and prepared spices and ointments to anoint his body. But by the time they were finished the Sabbath had begun, so they rested as required by the law.' (Luke 23.55-56)
I sense that Luke is telling us that the women, who had been so busy in dealing with the practical side of their grief, now found themselves compelled, against their will, to wait for a whole day, as required by the law. 
We often find being busy is a great antidote to thinking too much, or facing difficulties. And yet, the Psalms often tell us to learn to wait patiently.
'I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,
    and he turned to me and heard my cry. 

He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
    out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground
    and steadied me as I walked along.' 
(Psalm 40.1-2)
I am used to finding the quick fix to most difficult issues, so today is a day for me to learn that waiting patiently (=delayed gratification!) is the lesson the Lord would teach me. Am I willing to learn slowly?
Maybe you too are having to learn this lesson. 
I pray that we may continue our journey of faithful discipleship with the followers of Jesus. Our waiting will be rewarded.
Best wishes,
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment